Here’s my roundup of book news (and other fun stuff) around the web for the week! Sometimes I add stuff throughout the day on Friday, so be sure you check back over the weekend too!
Interviews and more:
- Book Riot has the results of their reader poll of fave novels, so check out the list of 50. How many have you read?
- io9 has some footage from the movie version of World War Z starring Brad Pitt
- The Guardian takes a look at the future of horror as a genre
- Andrea at Little Red Reviewer has posted some Star Wars/Disney mashups, and they’re brilliant. She’s got Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and more. While you’re there, check out the rest of her site, ’cause it’s brilliant too. To go along with this is io9’s gallery of Star Wars/Disney mash up art!
- SF Signal’s John DeNardo is at Kirkus with his Sci-Fi Television Viewers Guide to Science Fiction Books
- New Talent November is underway at Crime Fiction Lover, so be sure to check it out!
- The lovely Jaye Wells talks about her nomination for one of the Best Books of 2012 at RT Book Reviews
- Aussie author Alan Baxter is on SF Signal with a guest post on Defining Urban Fantasy
- Attn writers! Avon Impulse is accepting submissions!
- Sourcebooks is getting you ready for the holidays with their 25 Days of Christmas ebook promo where you’ll find daily discounts on some of their hottest titles!
- World Weaver Press is looking for story submissions from romance writers with a supernatural edge
- Wanna go to Russia? Fodor’s is running a great contest to win a trip in conjunction with the newest movie adaptation of Anna Karenina
- Angry Robot Books signed Jay Posey to a 2-book deal, the Dustwalker Cycle, a dark sci-fi saga set in a post apocalyptic America
Excerpts and such:
- Love noir? You can read an excerpt of Piggyback by Tom Pitts at Criminal Element
- You can read WILD THINGS by Alyx Dellamonica at Tor.com
- You can read Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill, which is set in the world of Marie Rutkoski’s THE SHADOW SOCIETY, at Tor.com
- You can read LET IT BLEED, a free novella by Jeri Smith-Ready that takes place between Bring On the Night and Lust For Life!
Fun stuff (some book-related, some not):
- Flavorwire has your list of 10 authors we should stop pigeonholing.
- Here’s a list of 12 famous authors and their very first author photos (via Flavorwire)
- Penguin covers inspired a lovely wallhanging (via GalleyCat)
- Last but not least is Flavorwire’s list of the 10 grumpiest authors in literary history
Also, the October Scare-a-Thon is over, but if you missed anything, here’s a list of the awesome!