Here’s my roundup of book news (and other fun stuff) around the web for the week! Sometimes I add stuff throughout the day on Friday, so be sure you check back over the weekend too!
Also, don’t miss my list of gift ideas for book lovers at the bottom of the post. I’ll try to offer up new ideas every week until the end of December.
Interviews and more:
- I was at Criminal Element this week with some fun movie adaptations of classic crime novels
- This: Each Buffy episode recapped as a limerick at io9. Someone had LOTS of time on their hands.
- Hey Firefly fans: Did you know Nathan Fillion has a charity? He does, and it helps kids, schools, and libraries get books they can’t afford.
- The Mary Sue has a rather cool Blade Runner contest going on right now.
- Author Kristen Simmons (Article 5) has a cover art contest goin’ on, too!
- Have you seen the Top 100 Editors’ Picks at Amazon?
- Courtesy of GalleyCat, here’s a few ways you can help get books out to our troops
- Suspense author Michael Connolly gets to head out with the USO and shares his story
- The awesome Jess Haines is collecting prezzies for underprivileged kids this year. Here’s how you can help.
- At SF Signal, Brenda Cooper interviews Madeline Ashby, and yes, it’s just as awesome as it sounds.
- Melville House has a novella subscription progam, and it is awesome.
- Cold Days is coming soon, so here’s an interview with Jim Butcher to tide you over.
- Criminal Element has a rather mindblowing Walking Dead giveaway
- Crime Fiction Lover interviews crime author Malcolm Mackay
- Here’s a nifty little interview with author Chris F. Holm (Collector series)
- Diana Gabaldon’s OUTLANDER series is going to be a series on Starz. SF Signal has the scoop (and I’ve got the SQUEEES!)
- Check out the trailer for the movie version of Stephenie Meyer’s THE HOST.
- I reviewed Cadaver Blues by JE Fishman at Crime Fiction Lover
- Texas author Jim Wilsky guest posts on PULP CURRY
- My favorite crime/suspense website, Crime Fiction Lover, has a Facebook page-you should totally go give it some love.
- You can win any book that Vampire Book Club has reviewed. Seriously!! (Ends 11/19)
- Joseph Nassise is at the Tor/Forge blog with “The Care and Feeding of a Villian”
- Chuck Wendig is on SF Signal today!
- Did you know that crime/suspense publisher SOHO Press has a new teen imprint? Why yes, yes they do!
- What’s this? Why, Robert Jackson Bennett just sold his 5th book!! Speaking of which, you should go ahead and pre-order his 4th book, American Elsewhere
- The 2012 National Book Award winners have been announced!
Excerpts and such:
- Grab some tissues and go read the story that won the Hugo, the Nebula, and the World Fantasy Award: Ken Liu’s Paper Menagerie
- You can read HOW TO MAKE A TRIFFID by Kelly Lagor at Tor.com
Fun stuff (some book-related, some not):
- Here’s Flavorwire’s list of 10 fairytales with very disturbing origins
- How ’bout some art nouveau Disney Princesses at The Mary Sue?
Gift Ideas for Book Lovers!!
- This lovely little book necklace will delight book lovers with a jones for jewelry! (via 1luckysoul @ Etsy)
- You can personalize a fairytale for a favorite kiddo in your life (there are lots of different types of books to choose from). (via Red Envelope)
- Winterberry Cottage makes wonderful prints out of classic books (via Etsy)
- How ’bout some Jane Austen bookmarks (by CastleOnTheHill at Etsy)
- OhMyCase makes the cutest Kindle cases in the world. No joke. (via Etsy)