Here’s my roundup of book news (and other fun stuff) around the web for the week! Sometimes I add stuff throughout the day on Friday, so be sure you check back over the weekend too!
Interviews and more:
- A new anthology about The Wizard of Oz is coming, and io9 has the scoop!
- There’s a huge Memory of Light Backpack Sweepstakes at the Tor/Forge blog!
- Paul Goat Allen gives us Three Reasons Why Men Should Read Paranormal Romance at the B&N Explorations Blog
- The New York Times tells us How To Read Like a Science Nerd
- Paul Goat Allen gives us more paranormal fun at the B&N blog on When Good Paranormal Sex Scenes Go Bad
- Chelsea at Vampire Book Club is giving away The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa
- Love zombies? Check out the Doc of the Dead Kickstarter (can you say Simon Pegg and George A. Romero?)
- Alyx Dellamonica’s WILD THINGS novella is now available!
- Have you seen the Book Bjorn? Galleycat has the trailer, and it’s a blast!
- i09 (Charlie Jane Anders) gives us a History of Sexy Monsters
- I gave The Tangled Bridge by Rhodi Hawk the Fresh Meat treatment at Criminal Element
- There’s a lovely interview with Genevieve Valentine at SF Signal
- Ian Rogers, author of EVERY HOUSE IS HAUNTED is guest posting at SF Signal and there’s a photo contest too!
- Love Hugh Laurie from HOUSE? He’s got a new book out, The Gun Seller, and you can snag a digital copy for $1.99!
- Visit the Crime Fiction Time Tunnel at Crime Fiction Lover!
- The Little Red Reviewer guest posts at Bastard Books and talks Urban Fantasy and Cover Art!
- Need some great seasonal recommendations for games, films, etc? New author Lee Collins has you covered!
- Are Penguin and Random House joining forces?
- Are you a writer? Do you write scary things? Nightmare Magazine (edited by John Joseph Adams) is taking submissions!
Excerpts and such:
- RUNNING IN THE DARK by Regan Summers is coming up on the 29th, so how ’bout an excerpt?
- You can read TOO FOND by Leanna Renee Hieber at Tor.com
- Love Ann Aguirre? So do I! Read her new story, FOUNDATION at Tor.com
Fun stuff (some book-related, some not):
- Flavorwire has a collection of very bizarre vintage Halloween costumes
- Horror films you didn’t realize were based on true stories (via Flavorwire)
- Here’s a list of the scariest movies you haven’t seen yet (via Yahoo)
- 24 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Halloween (via Buzzfeed)
- The goofiest villians in horror history(via Flavorwire)
- 15 Obscure Historical Monsters Who Would Improve Halloween Immensely (via io9)
- 10 Terrifying New Reads for Halloween 2012 (via Flavorwire)
- 10 Worst Science Fiction Governments (via Geekosystem)
- Flavorwire’s 50 Essential Horror Films: Part 4 (see Flavorwire.com or previous Book News posts for parts 1-3)
Also, the October Scare-a-Thon is in full swing, so be sure to check out what we’ve got going so far,and keep an eye out for spotlights on more horror authors and Bram Stoker Award winners in the coming days!