Joining me today is the wonderful Merrie Destefano! Merrie is the author of Afterlife, and also the upcoming Feast: Harvest of Dreams. Also up for grabs is a copy of Afterlife to one lucky winner (please see giveaway details at the bottom of this post.)
Please welcome Merrie to the blog!
Merrie, you have 20 years of experience in the publishing industry! Did you always plan on eventually writing a novel?
For those unfamiliar with your novels, can you tell us a bit about Chaz Domingue, the hero of Afterlife?
What made you decide to write an urban fantasy, and what do you love most about the genre?
What supernatural power would you like to have?
What kinds of things do you like to see in a good book?
1. Extraordinary writing
2. Captivating voice
3. Excellent story-telling ability
4. Realistic characters
5. Believable world-building
6. The magical ability to make me forget that I’m reading a book
7. A story or character that takes me to a new world
8. Well-crafted metaphors and themes
9. Moral value
10. An ending that lives up to the beginning
What makes you want to toss a book aside in frustration?
1. If I can’t connect with the main character
2. Sloppy storytelling/poor writing
3. Plot threads that don’t lead anywhere
4. Meandering plot
6. And this one will cause me to not buy the author’s next book: an ending that wasn’t as phenomenal as the beginning.
Can you tell us something about yourself that not a lot of people know about?